Glowing skin is hot, but shiny is not. An excess of oil is usually the cause of a shiny complexion, which can be worse in the summer (when you tend to sweat more). Fortunately, you don’t have to settle for a complexion that makes you feel less than beautiful. With the warm summer months just around the corner, act now to give your skin a fresh, new look.
How to Deal with Oily Skin
1. Cleanse your skin twice daily with the Clarisonic Skincare system. The rotating brush head and the sonic technology of the Clarisonic Mia helps clean your skin, scrub out dirt and flush out other impurities from your pores six times better than a washcloth. For the best results, use the brush system with the Clarisonic Skincare Refreshing Gel Cleanser, which is formulated specifically for oily skin. The ingredients in the cleanser include willowbark extract, betahydroxy acid, green and white tea, grape seed extract, bearberry, CoQ10, B5 and B12 to even out your skin tone, brighten your skin and keep it hydrated. Use the Clarisonic Skincare system after you wake up, before bed and after a workout.
2. Minimize the size of your pores. Warm water, like the kind you use to wash and rinse your face, can open up your pores. Minimize the size of your pores after washing your face with an oil-free toner or by splashing cold water onto your skin.
3. Combat oil with the Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel from Peter Thomas Roth, which stops oil before it makes an appearance. The specialized formula contains polysilicone-II, which absorbs oil and gives your skin a satin finish; silica to absorb the oil in your skin; and dimethicone to condition your skin without stripping it of its natural moisture.
4. Keep your skin hydrated. Contrary to logic, you have to keep your skin moisturized to combat oil. When you fail to moisturize your skin, your oil glands go into overdrive and end up producing more oil than usual. Look for a light moisturizer, like the Clarisonic Skincare Renewal Serum, that will keep your skin hydrated without clogging your pores. Its nutrient-rich ingredients include Vitamin C, which helps renew and strengthen your skin.
5. Perfectly powder your nose with the Dew Drop Powder Foundation from Kevyn Aucoin. Heavy foundation can clog your pores and look caked on if you have oily skin. Opt for Kevyn Aucoin’s lightweight cream-to-powder foundation so you can have the coverage you need without the risk of looking like a wet oil painting.
6. Dust away the shine with the Oily Problem Skin Instant Mineral SPF 30 from Peter Thomas Roth. Perfect for when you’re on the go, the powder minerals offer mess-free touch-ups throughout the day. The brush handle contains all the oil-absorbing translucent powder you need, so you can throw it into your purse without having to worry about crumbling powder in a compact. Use the oil-absorbing mineral powder to control shine and get some extra protection from the sun.
7. Brighten your eyes with the Paul & Joe Beaute Mascara Duo. Draw the attention away from your skin and to your eyes by making them look brighter. Use a matte eye shadow to apply neutral colors to your peepers because glittery or shimmering makeup can make your skin appear oilier. Then make your eyes pop with the Mascara Duo, which comes with two brushes – one to lengthen your lashes, and one to separate them.
When the summer comes, there’s no need to hide behind closed doors just because you have oily skin. With a solid skin care routine and oil-absorbing makeup, your oily skin will be the last thing on your mind.